At first glance, Pine looks like a cross between Fable and Breath of the Wild (also getting some Yonder: Cloud Catcher Chronicles vibes). After checking out the Kickstarter trailer, it looks like it’s shaping up to be something truly unique. The animation is a bit jittery, but it’s still early in development (it’s being developed by a team of 6!), so don’t let that hinder your thoughts. It looks like a beautiful world begging to be explored. The fact that the game adapts to your play style will keep things interesting. You’ll never truly feel safe.
Official statement from Twirlbound:
“Pine is a game that adapts to you. Using advanced artificial intelligence systems, the game recognizes your patterns and style of play, and makes its creatures and world evolve to you specifically. Take the role of Hue, a scared but brave adolescent belonging to one of the last remaining human tribes on the island of Albamare, fighting for the survival of their species. Find your way to a new home in an amazing adventure! Pine is in development for PC (Windows/Mac), and if the crowdfunding campaign allows it, we’d love to bring it to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The plan is to release it at the end of 2018!”
- Your enemies learn your moves and style as you fight them: they observe you, try out different combos against you and physically evolve, to oppose your style specifically! It forces you to adapt to them and to choose your alles and enemies wisely.
- The vast island of Albamare has a mystery around every corner, ready to be explored: As you embark on your necessary adventure, you uncover intriguing details about the history of the island and how the current evolutionary course came to be.
- Survival of the fittest, even when you’re not around: Pine is world-centric, meaning things will happen across the island regardless of your actions. Based on knowledge borrowed from evolution and ecology theory, all species will do anything to survive – from small power shifts to the extinction of a sort, the island of Albamare features it all.
- Use a range of fantastic tools to make your way across the island: As you progress, you discover amazing contraptions that help you traverse, interact and fight. Scare away creatures with the Igniter, make your way across large gaps with the amazing Airglider or scale the highest cliffs using strong Climbing Axes!
- Dynamic weather and natural day/night cycles that make the species move and act: Based on their needs, some species will find shelter during the nastiest storms or the coldest nights. Keep an eye out for large migrations as the island’s inhabitants are always on the move!
With a grand total of $121,480 for the Kickstarter (the goal was $100,000), Twirlbound achieved their goal! As of right now they’re developing for the PC, but if there’s enough support from publishers, there could be a chance for a console release (I’d love to play this on PS4). We will be covering Pine as it develops, but for now we will just have to gush over the trailer and gorgeous screenshots. If you want to stay updated on Pine click here to head on over to the official website to subscribe. – NVJ